[XeTeX] XeTeX compile error in Gentoo Linux

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon May 29 17:21:21 CEST 2006

On 29 May 2006, at 4:01 pm, 오인수 wrote:

> In my gentoo system /var/lib/texmf/web2c/texmf.conf is a symbolic
> link to
> /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.conf.
> -----------------------------
> [root at erdos /var/lib/texmf/web2c]# ls -l texmf.cnf
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2006-05-27 22:30 texmf.cnf -> /etc/texmf/
> web2c/texmf.cnf
> ----------------------------
>
> As following your simple  solution,  I  made  symbolic link  as
> following.
> -------------------------------
> ln -s /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
> -------------------------------
>
> Next, I excuted commands that previously occured errors.
> ------------------------------
> [root at erdos/usr/share/texmf/web2c]# xetex -ini  -jobname=xetex -
> progname=xetex *xetex.ini
> -----------
> Wow, it seems OK.

Yes, that looks normal. So xetex is now finding stuff properly.

> But the following command occurs error.

> ----------
> [root at erdos/usr/share/texmf/web2c]# xetex -ini  -jobname=xelatex -
> progname=xelatex * xelatex.ini
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.992 (Web2C 7.5.3) (INITEX)
> (/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/huhyphn.tex
> Huhyphn - hungarian hyphenation patterns v20031107
> ! Nonletter.
> l.33 .ad౱
> ?

This is a known issue - several people have encountered it in various
forms. The problem is that some of the standard LaTeX hyphenation
files use 8-bit character codes in specific codepages, and cannot be
read as Unicode text (which is what xetex tries to do).

There are "fixed" versions of some of these files among the texmf
additions that are included with xetex, but huhyphn.tex has
apparently not been checked yet. There are several possible workarounds:

(1) disable hyphenation for the Hungarian language in your
language.dat configuration (you can probably edit this via texconfig
or texconfig-sys);

(2) modify language.dat to load the older huhyph.tex patterns instead
of huhyphn.tex, as I believe xetex provides a Unicode-compatible
version of this;

(3) create an empty file named "huhyphn.tex" in the current
directory, before running xetex -ini .... to create the xelatex.fmt
format file (this will also serve to disable Hungarian hyphenation,
although the language will still be defined).

It's possible that having dealt with Hungarian, you'll encounter a
similar issue with some other language; it depends on your LaTeX
language configuration. This is another issue that should get worked
out as part of integrating xetex with the main texlive distribution;
the current situation is a temporary hack (sorry!).