[XeTeX] XeTeX compile error in Gentoo Linux

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon May 29 10:13:06 CEST 2006

On 29 May 2006, at 12:57 am, 오인수 wrote:

> ------------- xetex --kpathsea-debug=4 --------------------------
> kdebug:fopen(/usr/bin/xetex, r) => 0x87e60b0
> kdebug:fclose(0x87e60b0) => 0
> kdebug:fopen(/usr/share/texmf/ls-R, r) => 0x87f72a8
> kdebug:fclose(0x87f72a8) => 0
> kdebug:fopen(/usr/share/texmf/aliases, r) => 0x8b2c788
> kdebug:fclose(0x8b2c788) => 0
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.992 (Web2C 7.5.3)
> **
> -------
>
> As you can see, my xetex environment setting could have some problems.
> However, my texmf.conf files  are
> "/etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf" and  "/var/lib/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf"
> and both files are same.
> I think that xetex does not read /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf.

Yes, it is definitely not reading this (it would appear in the trace
above). So then the question is why.

All the web2c-based TeX programs locate texmf.cnf relative to the
location of the actual binary. I notice that you have xetex in /usr/
bin; is this the same location as other tex-related executables? On
some systems, the executables are actually installed elsewhere
(under ..../texmf/bin/<ARCHITECTURE>/ or something like that), and
only symlink are placed in /usr/bin. If this is the case on your
Gentoo system, you'd probably have to install xetex in the same way
for it to find the correct environment.

How about comparing the debug output of "pdftex --kpathsea-debug=4",
which should show us how pdftex is locating configuration files?
xetex is supposed to behave the same, but clearly it isn't working
right on your system.