[XeTeX] building and installing xetex on a debian(like) system with teTeX 3.0

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun May 21 00:21:21 CEST 2006

On 20 May 2006, at 10:00 pm, Ralf Stubner wrote:

> Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> writes:
>
>>> I had to remove (actually purge) the dvipdfmx package, since
>>> xdvipdfmx
>>> installs some files into the same location.
>>
>> Aha, that's a good warning (and maybe we should try to adjust things
>> to avoid the conflict).
>
> I think the Ubuntu packages you provide explicitly conflict with
> dvipdfmx. But somehow the
>
> Conflicts: dvipdfmx
>
> line is missing from debian/control.

I expect you're right. That'll be because I didn't think about it; I
should try and fix it (either resolve the conflicting items or add
the Conflicts line) next time I rebuild it.

>> In theory, xdvipdfmx should be an upward-compatible replacement for
>> dvipdfmx, but of course there's a risk that something has been
>> broken, especially while the driver is at an early-experimental
>> stage. That's why it's a separate project at the moment; once things
>> are more complete and stable, I hope we can have a single merged
>> program.
>
> Merging the two programs again would definitly be ideal.

Of course. But that's some way off.

> Otherwise I
> could imagine that the dvipdfmx package would install all these files
> while the xdvipdfmx package would only provide the additional
> binary and
> otherwise depend on the dvipdfmx package. But in general, getting
> packages in Debian cooperating properly is mainly the task of their
> maintainers (upstream can help, though). For xdvipdfmx Daniel Glassey
> has intended his interest to package it. I don't know how he thinks
> about these problems.

Yes, I know he expressed an interest, but don't know how soon he
might do something.

In general, I don't plan to be a long-term package maintainer; I did
something for Ubuntu and SuSE just so as to get things started, but
what I eventually hope is that xetex (and associated stuff) will go
into TeX Live and be built and installed just like the other programs
there. Then the distro packagers can pick it up along with everything
else.