[XeTeX] xdv2pdf psfonts.map

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Fri May 19 12:05:05 CEST 2006

Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> writes:

> I think in autumn of 2004 Gerben Wierda introduced an *EXPERIMENTAL*
> TeX i-Package with teTeX 3 (texmf-beta-2.96.5.20040711). Since he
> felt that the new *-sys utilities were a bit too much for an average
> Mac user it took about one year until teTeX 3 made it to get a non-
> experimental status.
>
> Still the TeX i-Package offers both: TeX Live 2003 with teTeX2 and
> TeX Live 2004/2005 with teTeX 3.

Thanks for this info.

> I think the situation in Mac OS X is not much different that on Linux
> or Solaris with many folks preserving the old.

Most current Linux distributions ship teTeX 3.0. Debian and Ubuntu being
the only exceptions that I know of. For Debian there are backports
available (this is what I am using). For Ubuntu the situation will
change with the release of Dapper in June.

> As you showed how easy
> it is to find out programmatically whether the local TeX installation
> is based on TDS 1 (teTeX 2) or on TDS 1.1 (teTeX 3) both worlds can
> be supported in an optimal manner.

The problem is that the code I showed is for /compile time/ decisions.
This does not help if one wants to distribute binaries that use both
paths for .enc or .map file searching.

cheerio
ralf