[XeTeX] \font usage

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun May 14 18:40:53 CEST 2006

On 14 May 2006, at 3:53 pm, Wlodek Bzyl wrote:

>> Either
>> 	\font\Z = "URW Gothic L/BI"
>> or
>> 	\font\Z = "URW Gothic L-Demi Oblique"
>> should work.
>>
>> However, I just tried this on my Linux machine and it doesn't work
>> reliably.... partly, at least, because the only version of URW Gothic
>> L present (on my system, at least) is in .pfb format, which XeTeX
>> doesn't handle well. I think if it were .otf, it would work properly.
>>

>    While adapting plain.tex to Latin Modern font family I tried
>
> \font \X = "Latin Modern Roman/R" \X
> Filmuj rzeź żądań, pość, gnęb chłystków!
>
> \font \Y = "Latin Modern Roman-Regular 10" \Y
> Filmuj rzeź żądań, pość, gnęb chłystków!
>
>    and \X changes font to LMRoman10-CapsRegular (so /R doesn't work)

There is no "/R" modifier -- you're supposed to get the Regular font
by default if you just give the family name. The only style modifiers
supported are /B and /I (and /S=<num> for optical size, where
available). But in the case of Latin Modern, XeTeX currently has
difficulty identifying the right "regular" face. There are *many*
fonts that include "Latin Modern Roman" as a Family name, and none of
them have the style name "Regular" (because they add the design size
to the style name).

I had some discussion with the Latin Modern team and others at
BachoTeX, and can probably improve the behavior, but at present it's
best to use a full "Family-Style" name with these to avoid ambiguity.