[XeTeX] Versions and AAT features in Hoefler Text

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri May 12 12:40:11 CEST 2006

On 12 May 2006, at 11:13 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> On my main setup there are two versions of Hoefler Text, and I just
> realized these differ largely in their AAT features. Oddly enough,
> the older version in the Classic font folder seems to include
> significantly more features than the more recent version in the OS X
> font folder. In particular, the latter does not include, apparently,
> lining or uppercase numbers and only includes old-style or lowercase
> numbers, which makes it inappropriate for mathematical typesetting (I
> do like oldstyle digits, but these look odd in mathematical
> equations, especially when appearing in subscripts and superscripts).

[snip]

> Is there something I'm not doing properly, or is this normal?

The Number Case feature went missing in Hoefler Text Regular on
Tiger, I believe; it was there in earlier versions (although there
were other inconsistencies in features/names).

I filed a bug report about this in May 2005 (# 4110574), but checking
on BugReporter still shows the status as "open". I'm bcc'ing this to
a couple of friends at Apple, as a little reminder.... (hi Deborah &
John!).