[XeTeX] Fwd: MetaPost with XeTeX

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed May 10 23:09:32 CEST 2006

Otared Kavian wrote:

>> i wonder what the ^^M's are doing there
>>
>> Hans
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> Thanks for your answer. I aplogize for not having answered your
> message this afternoon (I was busy with some meetings and I read your
> message right now).
>
> I send you a zip file, OK-HansH.zip, containing the file
> xetex-example.tex (which is typeset correctly with ConTeXt alone) and
> the auxiliary files created upon typesetting it with XeConTeXt.
> Amongst them you'll find the file
> xetex-example-mpgraph.mp
> which contains a strange ^^M at the beginning of many lines (if I am
> not mistaken ^^M means a carriage return?).
ok, the first problem is that xetex fails on the test that contest does with regards to 8-bit support; since we may assume that xetex is ok in this respect, you can add to cont-new.tex:

\beginXETEX
    \let\testbytesequence\empty
\endXETEX

The second problem is more tricky. In pdftex context assumes that natural.tcx is loaded, i.e. ^^M becomes a cr); it looks like xetex is escaping the < 32 chars (it does not support tcx filters not the -8bit flag). If this is indeed true, then we have a problem because we cannot have roundtrip write/read in xetex then. Given the nature of xetes, i'd expect it to be 8 bit clean, evan for < 32 chars.

i can probably cook up a quick fix for mp but i'm sure that in other areas problems will show up

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE