[XeTeX] output on linux

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue May 9 09:07:02 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 8 May 2006, at 5:00 pm, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> Hi Jonathan
>>
>> You need to add the following lines to the unicode-letters file:
>>
>> \L 201C 201C 201C
>> \L 201D 201D 201D
>>
>> some patterns contain  doublequote-char combinations
>>

> Can you give me some examples of this? Do you mean there are patterns
> that really involve double-quote characters, or that some of the
> existing patterns are written using (non-Unicode) input conventions
> that involve the " character? If that's the case, this should be
> handled by converting the sequences to the correct Unicode characters
> for the language in question (e.g., by defining macros that map the "-
> letter combinations to Unicode letters).

turkish uses them
> Remember that for XeTeX, the hyphenation patterns are to be defined
> in terms of Unicode characters, not 8-bit (La|Con)TeX(t) legacy input
> conventions.

well, i'm talking utf here

most patterns are made for latex and keeping up with their internals and  changes in names makes them a pain to use in other packages; this is why some time ago context moves away from the regular ones and uses encoding independent derivates.

snipper from tkhyph:

\catcode17=12\lccode17=17
\patterns{
2a1
2e1
2^^111

i don't use the (usually) messy pattern files but adapted versions:

\patterns {
2a1
2e1
2[quotedblright]1

or in utf-8:

\patterns {
2a1
2e1
2”1

Since all patterns have their own ways of getting '8 bit in' (and most assume ec encoding) it's ususally no problem to read them in in normal tex in such a way that even errors/bugs are disguised (one just misses a few hyphenations).

I'm not saying that i do things 100% ok -)

I can send you pattern files if needed.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE