[XeTeX] Correct LaTeX-logo – how?

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Mon May 8 21:11:23 CEST 2006

On 09/05/2006, at 2:29 , Adam Twardoch wrote:

> Taking the risk of stating the obvious, I'd like to point out that any
> geometric manipulations with letterforms such as scaling, skewing or
> mirroring are clearly inferior to properly-drawn typographic shapes.
>
> Here is a comparison of the XeTEX "logo" with a reversed E drawn in
> simplistic broad-pen geometric letterforms:
> http://www.twardoch.com/via/tmp/xetex.png

You're my hero of the day, Adam. Thanks for this :)
Jonathan Kew has always added the disclaimer that the real reversed E
should be used whereever possible, but poor font support I'm sure you
can imagine makes this often impossible.

> I shall remark that I find the over-complicated LaTeX "logo"
> a typographic humbug anyway, and find the idea of putting logos into
> body text ill-minded anyway

Yes, it is something of a difficulty. I've toyed before with the idea
of using all small caps as to avoid the direct connotations of the
word "Latex". Is this an alternative you'd recommend over using the
logo in-text?

Anyway, it's on my list of things to do to improve the LaTeX logo for
XeTeX (using small caps, as you mentioned), so we'll see what we can do.

Cheers,

Will