[XeTeX] Correct LaTeX-logo – how?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon May 8 11:25:50 CEST 2006

Le 7 mai 06 à 16:24, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> I guess this is a question for the LaTeX experts.... what's the best
> way to overcome Babel's redefinition of the logos? It's probably
> happening because Babel tries to ensure that the logos are set with a
> certain font encoding (in case you're using Russian or something for
> your main text), but this means that it defeats fontspec's use of the
> "U" encoding for Unicode fonts.

This is how I had modified the LaTeX logo a few months ago, to be
used in a document typeset in Optima (which doesn't include the small
caps font used for the A in the standard logo). Babel was also used
in this document. Together with graphics.

\makeatletter
\renewcommand{\TeX}{\org at TeX}
\renewcommand{\LaTeX}{\org at LaTeX}
\makeatother
\newsavebox{\LTXT}\newlength{\LTXTht}
\newsavebox{\LTXA}\newlength{\LTXAht}
\DeclareRobustCommand{\LaTeX}
   {L%
    \kern-.30em%
    \savebox{\LTXT}{T}\settoheight{\LTXTht}{\usebox{\LTXT}}%
    \savebox{\LTXA}{\scalebox{.8}{A}}\settoheight{\LTXAht}{\usebox
{\LTXA}}%
    \raisebox{\LTXTht}{\raisebox{-\LTXAht}{\usebox{\LTXA}}}%
    \kern-.15em%
    \TeX}

The height of the T and of the A, scaled by .8 for the latter, were
measured and used to move the A vertically such that its top was (in
theory) aligned with the top of the T. This worked reasonably well,
but not perfectly, in both upright and italic shape: