[XeTeX] Gill Sans Regular – how?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun May 7 13:56:38 CEST 2006

On 7 May 2006, at 12:07 pm, Joanna Rycko wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was trying to use Gill Sans Regular in my document. The Problem is,
> that for my Mac OS X the default shape of Gill Sans is bold, not
> regular (it is written in that order on the list in Font Book). And
> XeLaTeX uses Gill Sans Bold, when I write \setsansfont{Gill Sans}.
> How can I make XeLaTeX use the regular shape? I found only the way to
> tell it, how to use bold or italic.

I just tried this with sample2e.tex + fontspec, and it works for me
to say

	\setsansfont{Gill Sans}
	\usepackage{sectsty}
	\allsectionsfont{\sffamily}

in the preamble... but the headings appear in Gill Sans Bold because
the document class makes headings bold. To get them in Gill Sans
Regular, I can say

	\allsectionsfont{\normalfont\sffamily}

and this seems to work fine.

And if I say \sffamily at the beginning of the document, to change
the default body text to sans serif, I get Gill Sans Regular there.

So on my system, at least, fontspec + xetex seems to be finding the
Regular font properly. What happens if you load it directly using a
simple \font command?

	\font\gillsans = "Gill Sans" at 10pt \gillsans This is a test

That *should* give you the Regular font, and confirm that XeTeX finds
it OK.

If it really does load the Bold font by default with the name "Gill
Sans", something's not quite right .... either in XeTeX or in your
collection of fonts. But you might be able to work around it by using
the name "Gill Sans-Regular" (i.e., the family name and style name,
with a hyphen as separator).