[XeTeX] \XeTeX ?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri May 5 11:01:35 CEST 2006

Le 5 mai 06 à 10:04, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> I don't know what the differences are. As far as simple graphics
> operations are concerned, I think they're probably compatible, but
> for some more advanced features, dvipdfmx.def might be necessary.

There seem to be significant differences though. Most changes are
related to color, but others are related to graphical manipulations
such as rotation and scaling.

For example /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/dvipdfm/
dvipdfm.def (which is the latest version of dvipdfm.def) includes:

> \def\Grot at start{%
>   \special{ps: gsave currentpoint currentpoint translate
>   \Grot at angle\space neg rotate neg exch neg exch translate}}
> \def\Grot at end{\special{ps: currentpoint grestore moveto}}
> \def\Gscale at start{\special{ps: gsave currentpoint currentpoint
> translate
>   \Gscale at x\space\Gscale at y\space scale neg exch neg exch translate}}
> \def\Gscale at end{\special{ps: currentpoint grestore moveto}}

while dvipdfmx.def includes:

> \def\Grot at start{%
>   \special{pdf:btrans rotate \Grot at angle}}
> \def\Grot at end{\special{pdf:etrans}}
> \def\Gscale at start{%
>   \special{pdf:btrans xscale \Gscale at x\space yscale \Gscale at y}}
> \def\Gscale at end{\special{pdf:etrans}}

As an additional nicety, the obsolete dvipdfm.def shipped in the
graphics package of the latest LaTeX release even includes another
variant:

> \def\Grot at start{%
>   \special{pdf: bt rotate \Grot at angle\space }}
> \def\Grot at end{\special{pdf: et}}
> \def\Gscale at start{\special{pdf: bt xscale \Gscale at x\space yscale
> \Gscale at y}}
> \def\Gscale at end{\special{pdf: et}}

I'm curious which of these will work with XeTeX on Linux.

Bruno Voisin