[XeTeX] Using \XeTeXpicfile \XeTeXpdffile command

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu May 4 00:01:17 CEST 2006

Le 3 mai 06 à 21:54, Christophe DAMAS a écrit :

> I try to typset the PicFileSample.tex file which is given in the
> SampleDoc of the XeTeX distribution, but I get the same message.
>
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.99 (Web2C 7.5.3)
> (./PicFileSample.tex
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> \XeTeXpicfile
>                           "xetex.jpg"
> \centerline #1->\line {\hss #1
>                                \hss }
> l.12 \centerline{\XeTeXpicfile "xetex.jpg"}

It seems you are not running in extended mode, which is required for
\XeTeXpicfile to be recognized. Here's what I'm getting:

> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.99b (Web2C 7.5.3)
> entering extended mode
> (./PicFileSample.tex [1] )
> Output written on PicFileSample.pdf (1 page).
> Transcript written on PicFileSample.log.

According to XeTeX-notes.tex, regarding \XeTeXpicfile and \XeTeXpdffile:

> In addition, these commands (like other \eTeX\ extensions) are only
> available when the \XeTeX\ engine is running in “extended” mode
> (activated by an initial * when the format file is created). Note
> that the format files included with \XeTeX\ have extended mode
> active, so these commands will normally be available.

I did do nothing special to have the extended mode activated, I only
used the .pkg package for Apple Installer. Did you perform a custom
install (via Fink or DarwinPorts or from TeXLive)?

Bruno Voisin