[XeTeX] Spurious text (font name) in PDF output.

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue May 2 23:34:11 CEST 2006

On 2 May 2006, at 9:48 pm, Berteun Damman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For fun I was typesetting and expermenting a bit with ledmac/ledpar
> and XeTeX. It all worked out okay, but, when inserting a Russian text,
> some spurious characters, presumably from a font name, appear in the
> PDF file.
>
> The example I provide is the smallest I can make. If the
> \selectlanguage{russian} is changed to \selectlanguage{french} the
> spurious output does not appear. If the ledpar environment is not used
> however (when one just puts in the the main body) it does not appear
> either, even though \selectlanguage{russian} is present.
>
> I do not know much about russian, Babel does complain about a missing
> encoding; but I found the \newcommand\cyrillicencoding{U} somewhere on
> the net (and is needed for the document to compile).
>
> Does anyone understand where the extra characters come from? I realise
> this is a nasty interplay of complex packages, babel, ledpar/ledmac
> with XeTeX, but I couldn't strip it down further.

I just tried your sample file, and didn't get the same problem. I
also noticed that the PDF you had on your site didn't actually use
Gentium, as called for by the source, but Times instead. So something
is different here.

Are you perhaps not running the latest (1.9) release of fontspec?
That seems like a possible reason for the different behavior.

It could also be a version difference in one of the other packages
(ledmac? babel?) I don't have time to follow up on them all right
now; it's possible that I don't have the latest stuff, as I haven't
done a LaTeX update lately. I did just download ledmac from CTAN,
though, as that wasn't on my system at all.

Anyhow, I'd suggest you check for latest versions of the various
packages, especially fontspec, and let us know if that helps.