[XeTeX] follow uo to previous problem

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon May 1 01:39:09 CEST 2006

Hi Alex,

On 01/05/2006, at 7:56 AM, Alex Hamann wrote:

>> I updated my Latex. Before I did it I had no trouble to run XeLaTex
>> on a file with the following preamble:
>>
>> Since I updated I get this Warning:
>>
>> ! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}
>>
>> Strangely, another file (different location on HD, different body,
>> but same pramble) does not encounter this problem.
>>
>> What is going on?
>

> After I changed the file name from "Greece Paper" to "Greece_Paper"
> it worked again. Still I would appreciate it if anybody could explain
> me why this is so and why this has changed since I updated.

This is easy to explain.

If you had looked at the .log window, you may have seen the solution
yourself. Due to the space in  "Greece Paper", the name for LaTeX's
auxiliary file would have been:  Greece.aux  with the word "Paper"
remaining, and attempted to be placed on the page.

This occurs at the  \begin{document} line of your source,
before the warning has been disabled.

The warning means that something was placed onto the page,
*before* the processing for \begin{document} has been
completed. This is an error, since maybe the correct fonts
haven't been properly setup yet, and other kinds of preliminary
stuff.

Of course, normally it means that there is something wrong
somewhere else, as in the file-name, in your case.

> TIA, Alex

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au