[XeTeX] OT: Ukelele. Key bindings trouble

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Mar 18 21:33:37 CET 2006

On Mar 18, 2006, at 12:11, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 18 mars 06 à 15:57, Peter Dyballa a écrit :
>
>> Am 18.03.2006 um 11:50 schrieb Bernd:
>>
>>> some of you probably also use Ukelele for personal keyboard layouts.
>>> I am trying to use alt-d to get a ḍ but some kind of system wide
>>> keyboard modification makes alt-d "delete next word". I have
>>> tried to
>>> get rid of this behaviour but don't know where OS X stores its key
>>> bindings.
>>
>> These GNU Emacs like bindings are part of Cocoa since Tiger.
>> Outside of Cocoa applications these key bindings are still free ...
>>
>> I have no idea where to change them. What is Google telling?
>
> I'm surprised Alt-d "outputs" an action instead of a character. On
> my Mac it yields ∂, with either French or US keyboard. I would
> have expected Cmd-Alt-d or Ctrl-Alt-d to actually provoke some
> action (like deleting the next word), but Alt-d to only yield a
> character.
>
> Which application are you using? Have you activated some sort of
> auto-completion functionality, which would translate the output of
> Alt-d into something else? Are you using Alpha and its so-called
> Electric features? Or Emacs?

I don't know if deleteWordForward: is implemented by the Cocoa text
system on any version of OS X, but those bindings have been around
since the NeXT days.  You get this functionality with TextExtras and/
or by modifying Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict.

[...]

> The behaviour you are mentioning (some key combination implying
> "delete next word") seem to be part of the editing shortcuts that
> are present in many Cocoa applications (like TextEdit) with text
> editing functionality: like double-clicking in a word selecting the
> whole word, and triple-clicking selecting the whole line, and so
> forth. For example, in a thread "[OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.09 and
> matching parentheses" on the OS X TeX list on 29 January, Jerome
> Laurens wrote:
>
>> 3 clicks user action is already used by cocoa to select a whole line
>>
>> Do things like iTeXMac
>>
>> one click positions the cursor
>> two click selects a bracket group
>> each supplemental click: extend the selection to the enclosing
>> logical block
>>
>> and don't forget to manage the escaped \{ and friends...
>> However, there might be a problem in managing comments %
>>
>> to select just the bracket (and the delimiter in general), alt+2
>> clicks, like xcode does.
>>
>> In general, the purpose of the alt key is to let the user easily
>> switch between 2+ alternatives.
>> Use this and you'll have a consistent interface.
>
> I never saw any documentation of these shortcuts (like double- or
> triple-click) anywhere, and it's generally by accident that I
> stumble on them. I'd really be interested to know whether such
> documentation exists, and where.

The multiple click part is discussed in the HI guidelines:
"In text fields, clicking should perform the following actions:

Single-clicking places the insertion point at the pointer’s location
in the text.
Double-clicking within a word selects the word. The selection should
provide “smart” behavior; if the user deletes the selected word,
for example, the space after the word should also be deleted.
Double-clicking in a space selects the space.
Triple-clicking selects the next logical unit, as defined by the
application. In a word-processing document, triple-clicking in a word
selects the paragraph containing the word."

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/
OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGUserInput/chapter_11_section_4.html#//apple_ref/
doc/uid/TP30000361-TP23>

--
Adam