[XeTeX] fnsymbol

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Mar 2 02:24:01 CET 2006

Hi Carlo,

On 02/03/2006, at 9:53 AM, Carlo Strub wrote:

> Just another question. I saw that if I use \thanks{} in the title
> xetex with fontspec still uses the CM-font daggers instead of using
> the asterisks and daggers from the roman font chosen. Does anyone
> have an idea how to change that?

Here is the LaTeX coding that underlies the use of  \fnsymbol:

\def\fnsymbol#1{\expandafter\@fnsymbol\csname c@#1\endcsname}
\def\@fnsymbol#1{\ensuremath{\ifcase#1\or *\or \dagger\or \ddagger\or

So you are just getting the usual math-symbols: \dagger or \ddagger etc.

If you never use these elsewhere in your documents, then
you could define \dagger and \ddagger to expand to the appropriate
symbols from the text font.

Now look at  xunicode.sty  for dagger-like symbols.
We see:

\DeclareUTFcharacter[\UTFencname]{x2020}{\textdagger}
\DeclareUTFcharacter[\UTFencname]{x2021}{\textdaggerdbl}

So you could try rebinding macro-names:

   \let\dagger\textdagger
   \let\ddagger\textdaggerdbl

in the preamble.

Better might be to redefine the  \@fnsymbol  macro to
avoid math-mode where possible (in fact altogether):

  \makeatletter
   \renewcommand{\@fnsymbol}[1]{%
    \ifcase#1\or\textasteriskcentered\or \textdagger\or \textdaggerdbl
    \or\textsection\or \textparagraph\or \textbardbl
    \or \textasteriskcentered\textasteriskcentered  %  or use
^^^^2051 for this
    \or\textdagger\textdagger \or \textdaggerdbl\textdaggerdbl
    \else\@ctrerr\fi}
  \makeatother

> Many thanks,
> Carlo