[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.994a and fontspec 1.10 on Mac OS X and Lucida Sans fonts from Java

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jun 29 00:40:06 CEST 2006

On 28 Jun 2006, at 11:17 pm, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 29/06/2006, at 6:15 , Peter Dyballa wrote:
>>   \textsf{This is Lucida Sans Regular, \textit{and this is Lucida
>> Sans Oblique}.
>
> Hmmmm, what is going wrong here? It has selected bold italic instead
> of italic, which is weird.

I suspect the root of this problem is a mixture of Lucida Sans fonts
of various versions from various sources. If there are
inconsistencies in naming between the versions from various
JavaVM.framework releases, and you install a hotch-potch of versions
(as hinted at by Peter's original message), then xetex will very
likely lose track of the family relationships, and style selection
will get flaky.

> Aha, a problem with the font (or XeTeX)!
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \begin{document}
> \font\1="Lucida Sans Regular"\1 test
> \font\1="Lucida Sans Regular/B"\1 test
> \font\1="Lucida Sans Regular/I"\1 test
> \font\1="Lucida Sans Regular/BI"\1 test
> \end{document}
>
> I also notice that trying to select the font by calling it "Lucida
> Sans" also doesn't work, which it should if I understand things
> correctly. Seems like the font is a bit buggy in its naming.

Works for me. Again, font version differences, I suspect.

> Anyway, you can fix this up in fontspec of course by selecting the
> italic font specifically:
>
> \fontspec
>    [ItalicFont={Lucida Sans Oblique}]
>    {Lucida Sans Regular}
> test \itshape test

Yes, that's one approach; another is to rationalize the assortment of
fonts installed on a given machine. :)