[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.994a and fontspec 1.10 on Mac OS X and Lucida Sans fonts from Java

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Jun 28 10:31:42 CEST 2006

Am 28.06.2006 um 09:10 schrieb Ralf Stubner:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> writes:
>
>> LucidaSans-Typewriter and Lucida Bright are fine, but Lucida Sans
>> leads to:
>>
>> 	! Cannot use \XeTeXOTcountfeatures with Lucida Sans Demibold; not an
>> OpenType Layout font.
>> 	\zf at check@ot at feat ...OTcountfeatures \zf at basefont
>> 	                                                  \c at zf@script
>
> Interesting. When I try [...] on Linux (XeTeX v0.994a, Rev 292;
> xdvipdfmx Rev 38; fontspec 2006/06/07 v1.10), I don't have this
> problem. However, I get these messages from
> xdvipdfmx:
>
> *** Embedding disabled due to licensing restriction ***
>
> *** Embedding disabled due to licensing restriction ***
>
> *** Embedding disabled due to licensing restriction ***
>
> ** NOTICE: This document contains a `Preview & Print only' licensed
> font **

In /Library/Fonts, the system-wide directory of fonts in Mac OS X, I
have a mixture of Lucida fonts from different Java versions. The
bigger the font file's size, the better. I did not check the actual
glyphs contents, maybe it has become useless now ...

> Indeed pdffonts tells me
>
> name                                 type         emb sub uni
> object ID
> ------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- ---
> ---------
> LucidaBright                         CID TrueType no  no  yes
> 5  0
> LucidaSans                           CID TrueType no  no  yes
> 7  0
> LucidaSans-Demi                      CID TrueType no  no  yes
> 9  0
> GEHMAD+LucidaSans-Typewriter         CID TrueType yes yes yes
> 11  0

"My" Lucida Bright and Lucida Sans Typewriter fonts are still enabled
for embedding ... the mix might make it. (Some downloader into the PS
printer for these TT fonts might be useful then.)

>> I have put the versions I use into /Library/Fonts. The fontconfig
>> systems knows the font locations in /System/... because I can see
>> fonts.cache-1 files.
>
> Does XeTeX on the Mac use fontconfig? I am surprised.

I'm not completely sure. Xdv2pdf should not be able to use it. I have
fontconfig running for use in X11. And I think next month or week
I'll start SVN to see what xdvipdfmx is doing!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

   It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
                     -- Garfield