[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.994a and fontspec 1.10 on Mac OS X and Lucida Sans fonts from Java

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Jun 28 09:10:16 CEST 2006

Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> writes:

> So I tried XeLaTeX -- on screen and on paper perfect (and in Adobe
> Reader, too), maybe because a TTF version of dijkstra is used. But
> the real problem is with the Lucida Sans family of fonts that comes
> with others with Java (/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/
> Versions/{1.3.1,1.4.2,1.5.0}/Home/lib/fonts/):
[...]
> LucidaSans-Typewriter and Lucida Bright are fine, but Lucida Sans
> leads to:
>
> 	fontspec.cfg loaded.
> 	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/xelatex/fontspec/fontspec.cfg))
> 	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/xelatex/xltxtra/xltxtra.sty
> 	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/etex/etex.sty)
> 	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/base/fixltx2e.sty))
> 	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/xelatex/xunicode.sty)
> 	! Cannot use \XeTeXOTcountfeatures with Lucida Sans Demibold; not an
> OpenType Layout font.
> 	\zf at check@ot at feat ...OTcountfeatures \zf at basefont
> 	                                                  \c at zf@script

Interesting. When I try

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode}
\setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{LucidaBright}
\setmonofont{Lucida Sans Typewriter}
\setsansfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Lucida Sans}
\begin{document}
test \textsf{test \textbf{test}} \texttt{test}
\end{document}

on Linux (XeTeX v0.994a, Rev 292; xdvipdfmx Rev 38; fontspec 2006/06/07
v1.10), I don't have this problem. However, I get these messages from
xdvipdfmx:

*** Embedding disabled due to licensing restriction ***

*** Embedding disabled due to licensing restriction ***

*** Embedding disabled due to licensing restriction ***

** NOTICE: This document contains a `Preview & Print only' licensed font **

Indeed pdffonts tells me

name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
LucidaBright                         CID TrueType no  no  yes      5  0
LucidaSans                           CID TrueType no  no  yes      7  0
LucidaSans-Demi                      CID TrueType no  no  yes      9  0
GEHMAD+LucidaSans-Typewriter         CID TrueType yes yes yes     11  0

So it looks as if I am not supposed to use the Lucida fonts that come
with Java ...

> I have put the versions I use into /Library/Fonts. The fontconfig
> systems knows the font locations in /System/... because I can see
> fonts.cache-1 files.

Does XeTeX on the Mac use fontconfig? I am surprised.

cheerio
ralf