[XeTeX] Typographical question: xetex' default wordspacing (\fontdimen2--7)

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Jun 26 22:21:53 CEST 2006

Joachim Trinkwitz <jtr at uni-bonn.de> writes:

> Maybe another naive question: would it help to convert my fonts in
> OTF, e.g. with fontforge or another software?

That should help. For fontforge, a simple script like

#!/usr/bin/env fontforge
Open($1)
Reencode("unicode");
Generate($1:r+".otf","",0x80);

which is called with the font file as argument would do it, if the AFM
file is in the same directory and has the same base name. If not, one
can easily improve the script. The same holds if one wants to convert
many fonts in a single run. It gets more interesting once one tries to
merge also expert fonts, set OpenType features and stuff like that.

cheerio
ralf