[XeTeX] Ideal way to handle fonts

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jun 26 20:28:32 CEST 2006

On 26 Jun 2006, at 6:56 pm, William Adams wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> Can you compare the behavior on different platforms, and see if it's
>> consistent?
>
> Yes, where a font works, the weights selected are consistent betwixt
> the two platforms, so it looks like we've got a basis for working on
> a solution for this --- Will Robertson, do you concur?

I don't think it's Will's problem.... xetex is making some bad
choices. I'll probably ask you for dumps of some more font info, when
I get a moment to think about this.

> All of the fonts which I mentioned as not working on the PC under
> W32tex work fine on the Mac _except_ for Bauer Bodoni Std which
> doesn't work on either platform.
>
> Here's the ftxdumperfuser output for the Roman weight:

Here's an interesting entry from that dump:

<nameTableEntry nameTypeID="16" nameTypeName="PreferredFamily">
   <localizedName platformID="3" platformName="Microsoft"
scriptID="1" scriptName="Unicode"  languageID="1033"
isRawHex="NO">Bauer Bodoni Std 1</localizedName>
</nameTableEntry>

This suggests that the name "Bauer Bodoni Std 1" ought to work (but
of course I can't try this here).

Can't imagine why they decided it needed a "1" on the end.....