[XeTeX] Ideal way to handle fonts

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Jun 26 13:50:34 CEST 2006

Okay, I've been doing some further testing and have some questions,
and then some more questions.

  - how does the version of w32tex that's available on that web page
match what's available in SVN?
  - could we get a marker or build number on that page or something
to let us know when it's been up-dated?
  - I got three crashes in w32tex over the weekend, not really
reproducible (seems to happen when I run successive calls to TeX on a
file in WinTeXshell (doing this after editing the file to switch
fonts) --- would someone want the Dr. Watson crash logs and memory
dumps (the latter is ~14MB, so wants an FTP site to drop it off at)?
  - does the w32tex 0.994a binary have the fix to make \setromanfont
{Aldus LT Std} work? ('cause it didn't).

Several more fonts didn't work correctly (or at all) and others
exhibited unpredictable behaviour, so how do we want to handle this?

  - Antique Olive for instance set the light as the normal weight and
the Compact for the bold --- do we want to try to extend or improve
the handling of weights? Bauhaus performed similarly.

Also, W32tex (or is it XeTeX itself? or the underlying Windows OS?)
doesn't handle spaces very well. I tried this (where the .tex file
was named the same as the font I wished to test):

\documentclass{typespec}
\begin{document}
\specimenfour{\jobname} % this feeds into a \setromanfont{#1}
\end{document}

and it complained about not being able to find a file and balked at
the space in the fontname.

For those who're curious, in addition to Aldus LT Std, the following
fonts don't seem to've worked (in W32tex):

Ariadne LT Std --- would there be an easy way to pull in a font to
use it for capitals only? (I guess this is another request for a
virtual font feature)
Arnold Boecklin Std
Auriol LT Std
Banco Std
Banshee Std
Baskerville Cyrillic LT Std
Bauer Bodoni Std

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.