[XeTeX] seac/endchar in type2 (OT CFF) fonts

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Tue Jun 20 20:12:11 CEST 2006

Adam Twardoch wrote:
> Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>> FreeFontPro
>> (http://www.pyrus.com/downloads/freefontpro.zip) and Yanone Kaffesatz
>> (http://yanone.de/cgi-bin/download.pl?file=kaffeesatzfont) include the
>> seac/endchar operator. This might be due to the fact that FontLab could
>> use this operator to generate composite characters in OpenType CFF fonts
>> (and it this might be not avoidable from within FontLab).
>>
> No, it's mostly due to the fact that FreeFontPro was a quick-and-dirty
> job. We recommend not to use seac, and of course FontLab 4.x and FontLab
> Studio 5 have an option to decompose a font (i.e. replace the composites
> with real outlines) -- either manually or automatically upon generation.
> Since the CFF format uses outline-based subroutinization, the glyph
> definitions will be compressed anyway.

Thanks for your answer, Adam.

If I'm not wrong, the automatic decomposing in font generation you mean
is described on page 106 of the FontLab Macintosh User Manual (and on
page 108 of the Windows User Manual).

Is that right? (I have never used FontLab and I would like to know for
sure in order to report the issue to the font designers.)

Thanks for your help,

Pablo