[XeTeX] Problem with footnotes and komascript

Toralf Senger Senger at mpimp-golm.mpg.de
Sun Jun 18 20:59:39 CEST 2006

>With  the following example I get a

TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=5000].
\fushape  ->\not @math at alphabet\fushape

Sorry, I forgot to mention that in order to use the "@"-char in a document preamble, you need to  tell tex, that it treads "@" in this context as a letter. For that, you need to put a \makeatletter in front of those commands, and a \makeatother behind it, like this:

\documentclass{scrbook}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{fontspec,xunicode}
\usepackage[xetex]{graphics}

\makeatletter
\DeclareRobustCommand\fushape
     {\not at math@alphabet\fushape\relax
     \addfontfeatures{VerticalPosition=Superior}}
\newcommand{\textfu}[1]{{\fushape #1}}
\makeatother

\deffootnote[1em]{1em}{1em}{\textfu{\thefootnotemark}}
\deffootnotemark{\textfu{\thefootnotemark}}
\renewcommand{\thempfootnote}{\textfu{\textit{\alph{mpfootnote}}}}

\setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text, ItalicFont={Adobe Garamond Pro
Italic}]{Adobe Garamond Pro}

\begin{document}
test \emph{test}\footnote{test}
\end{document}

This should work and works for me. I'am using Komascript as well, but I am not using xltxtra. BTW, when you do instead of \newcommand{\textfu}[1]{{\fushape #1}} \renewcommand{\textsuperscript}[1]{{\fushape #1}}, you have your redefinition of textsuperscript. Like this however, you are very limitid, as many fonts provide only support for numbers and perhaps small letters. As I need also other signs, I fake \textsuperscript and uses only \textfu for the usage in footnotes.

TS