[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx code updated

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Jun 18 00:03:41 CEST 2006

Hi Toralf,

Glad to hear things are (mostly) working well for you. :)

On 17 Jun 2006, at 10:49 pm, Toralf Senger wrote:

> I had to do a very ugly hack to get chemical arrows of
> chemarrows.sty though: There is somewere something wrong with glyph
> positioning or some glue: \rightleftharpoons{60pt} creates in XeTeX
> (as under PDFTeX) a \hbox of 60pts width, but the arrows that are
> constructed in there only fill up to the half. More precicely, a
> \cleaders\hbox\hfill construct does not give the right result: when
> I do '\cleaders\hbox{.}\hfill', I get the entire 60pt filled with
> dots, but as soon as I switch to the 'arrow' font and place s
> symbol from there (\cleaders\hbox{\arro\symbol{71}}\hfill), only
> 30pt of the 60pt are filled. Trying to convince TeX the hbox has a
> different size did not solve the problem. So I put a modified \fbox
> {} around the font-switching (\cleaders\hbox{\myfbox{\arro\symbol
> {71}}}\hfill) and draw a white frame with zero width around the
> symbols from the arrow font, then the entire 60pt are filled: Very
> ugly hack, but it works.

Weird.... I haven't run into this one before, but it sure sounds like
a bug somewhere!

I don't seem to have chemarrows.sty as part of my usual gwTeX setup,
though I'm sure I could get it from CTAN. But I wondered if you might
be able to produce a small test file using plain xetex, or xelatex
without extra packages, that demonstrates similar incorrect leader-
filling behavior? That would make it easier for me to start
investigating the cause.

Thanks,