[XeTeX] Optical sizing (was: Feedback on W32 Port of XeTeX v0.994)

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Jun 16 13:23:24 CEST 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 5:38 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> I've been working on the Linux/Windows font code so that it better
> matches the Mac behavior, where optical sizes do work properly. I'll
> be updating the code in Subversion tomorrow, I expect, and new builds
> should follow.

Great news!

> However, in the meantime I've also realized that some of the 'size'
> data in Garamond Premier Pro is *incorrect*, and therefore the
> results you get with XeTeX will still not be entirely as expected. In
> particular, compare:
>
> GaramondPremrPro-ItCapt.otf:design size 6 pt, size range (6 pt, 8.9
> pt], subfamily ID 6, subfamily name Italic
> GaramondPremrPro-It.otf:design size 6 pt, size range (6 pt, 8.9 pt],
> subfamily ID 6, subfamily name Italic
>
> So "Garamond Premier Pro Italic Caption" and "Garamond Premier Pro
> Italic" have identical 'size' data; but they are in fact distinct
> designs, and the latter is clearly meant to be the 11pt design size.
> I'm afraid xetex can't figure that out by magic, though; it can only
> go by what it actually finds in the font!

Wonder how that slipped through their QA department?

I've mentioned it on an InDesign mailing list where a lot of Adobe
employees hang out, (w/ attribution to you and mention of the XeTeX
list) so hopefully it'll get on their radar.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.