[XeTeX] Mapping=tex-text-->no effect in w32xetex

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jun 16 00:02:23 CEST 2006

On 15 Jun 2006, at 9:52 pm, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 15.06.2006 um 22:00 schrieb Toralf Senger:
>
>> The aforementioned option does not make an endash out of two dashes
>
> Have you tried to use xunicode.sty? This is written to convert TeX
> macros or such into Unicode.

Macros such as \', \", \aa .... yes. But --, ---, ``, etc., are
implemented as ligatures in CM and other legacy TeX fonts, and
xunicode.sty can't touch them.

(Well, in theory it could, but only by complex active-character
mechanisms that would have all sorts of bad interactions with other
stuff.)

> BTW, what keeps you from writing – instead of --? Just elder habits?

I expect it's a case of lots of existing text that already contains
the TeX conventions. And perhaps a desire to keep that text in plain
ASCII and compatible with all TeX versions.