[XeTeX] MakeIndex

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Jun 15 09:53:34 CEST 2006

Hi all,

On 15/06/2006, at 5:19 PM, Yves Codet wrote:

> I had a look at my .ind file, it looks like this:
>
>    \item \emph{Paramārthasāra}, 3
>    \item \emph{Spandaśāstra} (I 3), 5
>    \item \emph{anuttara} ‘Unsurpassable [Absolute]’, 4
>    \item \emph{anuttara} ‘unsurpassable’, 4
>    \item \emph{avasthā} ‘states [of consciousness]’, 5
>    \item \emph{cidghana} ‘mass of consciousness’, 3

This is the *output* from Makeindex.
Look at the .idx  file to see the input.

But there are lots of standard index styles, with .ist suffix.
Use them as in:

    makeindex -s icase.sty  -i <jobname>.idx -o <jobname>.idx

for case-insensitive sorting.

or with  -s din.ist   for some special German features.

To see these  .ist  files,  look in   ..../texmf/makeindex/
and its subdirectories.

Some of these files should give clues for coping with special
character strings. I don't know how well it handles UTF8 though.

> Is it very difficult to sort such a list according to a predefined
> order and is there no Perl or Python script which could do that?
>
> Another naive question. MakeIndex must have somewhere a list
> instructing it about alphabetical order. If it's not compiled with the
> binary it sould be possible to customise it. If it is, perhaps the
> binary can be compiled with a customised list. Any clue?

See above.

Happy hunting!

Cheers,

	Ross