[XeTeX] Placing .pdfs w/ crop and trim boxes

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Jun 14 13:57:39 CEST 2006

On Jun 14, 2006, at 4:34 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 13 Jun 2006, at 7:59 pm, William Adams wrote:
>
>> I've gotten pretty far along on re-creating a journal currently done
>> in Quark XPress (~123 crashes cumulative YTD for this and other
>> projects) in XeLaTeX, and am now at the point of placing graphics.
>
> It's tempting to ask about the corresponding xelatex crash count, but
> perhaps that would be rash..... ;)

0, which I laud and respect. Excellent work on your part (and that of
DEK and Apple and everyone who's helping you out). ::applause::

I think I crashed the TeXshop beta once, and TeXshop before that once
too.

>> Cropping in Adobe Acrobat (having their crop box set) isn't respected
>> when they're placed --- is this a known issue? (I couldn't find
>> anything on it) and what causes it?
>
> Not a known issue to me, mainly because it's not something I've ever
> tried to do. xetex uses Quartz functions to access a PDF file, and
> uses the media box to determine its size. I guess it should be using
> the crop box instead, though; it just hasn't come to my attention
> because I don't crop and place PDFs! :)

Understandable, it's a graphic-design kinda thing to do.

On Jun 14, 2006, at 6:37 AM, Jonathan Kew added:
> If you're inclined to build-your-own-XeTeX, rather than waiting for a
> new release, the current code in Subversion now respects the crop box
> (at least for the simple tests I've run).

Excellent! Checked out, compiled, installed and it works perfectly!
Thanks!

> Should xetex also consider the trim box of a PDF it's including? If
> so, how would that interact with the crop box?

Sorry, guess I should've explained the different boxes:

  - media box --- this is the total output area which the .pdf takes
up (for printing, often a number of files will be imaged on a single
sheet of film --- this allows the whole thing to image w/ crop marks
&c.)

  - bleed box --- this is the minimal amount of defined
``bleed'' (elements which appear at the edge of the trimmed page and
go beyond it)

  - trim box --- this is the desired physical page area after all
folding and trimming

  - crop box --- this is how much of the .pdf displays on-screen ---
sometimes a graphic design shop will set all of the afore-mentioned
boxes appropriately, then crop down to slightly smaller than trim so
as to get a design down beneath the threshold at which Acrobat's
``reduce to page'' feature will be activated so a job can be sent out
to a client for proofing w/o having to worry so much about it
printing at the wrong size.

I'd typically want to place an object by its bleed box (so that
things which bleed can be placed so as to allow this), but a typical
user would probably want the trim box, but the na{\"\i}ve user will
probably be confused if anything other than the crop box (matching
what's shown on-screen) is used. But, a graphic design company which
didn't use English as its primary language could well want to build
an imposition system using XeTeX which allowed it to place images
according to their media box and have Unicode-encoded typeset notes
about workflow (quantities &c.)....

So, support 'em all!

Seriously, I think it is best to take all possibilities into account
and allow the user to choose. I think the best default, as I
indicated above would be either trim or crop.

>> Also, will it be possible to set the crop, trim and media box in
>> XeTeX? Currently I have to manually set the crop box in Acrobat
>> before sending things through Prinergy.
>
> That would be useful, I guess... I'll need to investigate how to do
> it through Quartz.
>
> Is this supported by [x]dvipdfmx, and if so how is it specified in
> the source document?

AFAICT it's not, at least I can't find anything w/ a Google search.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.