[XeTeX] [OT] Re: scrarticle + landscape + a6paper – how?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Jun 14 10:52:09 CEST 2006

Am 14.06.2006 um 08:48 schrieb Joanna Rycko:

>> The TeX
>> binaries have a routine built in that makes them search "in the
>> vicinity" of their installation place for configuration files to
>> learn where STY, CLS, font files etc. are.
>
> I'm not sure, if I understand, what you mean. What do you mean with
> „routine“? Is MacTeX checking online itself, if there are new
> [versions of] packages? And downloads it? Otherwise, how is it
> possible, that MacTeX is, as you written, up-to-date?

The "routine" I mentioned by this name is a piece of C code in the
programmes which they use when they are invoked. They determine in
which place on the disk they were launched (the pathname of the
programme) and know from the rules of TDS (TeX Directory Structure)
where CNF files are and from these they learn where to search for
STY, CLS, font files etc. So you can have one TeX installation in /
usr/local/texlive and another one in /usr/local/teTeX and they won't
interfere as long as you do not set in your environment variables
that change TeX's default behaviour, i.e. as long as you do not set
manually any of the names used in the CNF files. If you do so, then
both TeX worlds would search some specific files in one common place
(the giant amount of font files would be a good choice for this ...).

The MacTeX binaries are the same as those Gerben Wierda creates and
which are installed by i-Installer. These binaries do not look for
updates or newer versions on the Internet. This is one of i-
Installer's duties (which you can use to update the TeX installation
from updated i-Packages). MacTeX gets updated by Richard Koch (author
of TeXShop) from time to time in the area of TeX, and Herbert Schulz
updates TeX related applications and some documentation.

Maybe MacTeX and i-Installer will bring TeXLive to the desktop --
teTeX is recently dead!

--
Mit evolutionären Grüßen

   Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _