[XeTeX] Buggy behaviour of install-xetex script

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Jun 13 17:38:28 CEST 2006

William Adams <will.adams at frycomm.com> writes:

> On Jun 13, 2006, at 6:53 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>>> Oh, so Fedora has decided to make "tex" a symlink to pdfetex, rather
>>> than including a strictly tex-only binary. I guess that's been coming
>>> for a while.
>
> Yeah, seemed inevitable once the LaTeX team decided to standardize on
> etex.

There is absolutly no reason for 'tex' being a symlink to pdfetex. And
neither teTeX not TeX Live implemet such a behaviour. This is a solitary
decision by the Fedora people. Actually, a very bad move ...

> AIUI, so long as it passes the trip test it can be called ``TeX''.

IIRC, the banner is part of the trip test, and calling pdfeTeX does not
produce the right 'This is TeX, Version 3.1415...' banner.

cheerio
ralf