[XeTeX] XeTeX Linux: 8r.enc not found.

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jun 9 09:56:55 CEST 2006

On 9 Jun 2006, at 8:29 am, Ralf Stubner wrote:

> Lorenz Haas <lorenz at lorenz-haas.de> writes:
>
>> XeTeX does not found the 8r encoding: ** ERROR ** Could not find
>> encoding
>> file "8r". But 'pdflatex' found it and compile fine. 8r.enc located
>> at: /usr/share/texmf-tetex/fonts/enc/dvips/psnfss/8r.enc, in my
>> localtexmf!
>
> TEXMFLOCAL would be /usr/local/share/texmf, the above file is in
> TEXMFDIST.
>
>> Where does XeTeX search it?
>
> Actually, I don't think it is XeTeX  but xdvipdfmx which does not find
> 8r.sty. You can test this by calling separately XeTeX with the -no-pdf
> option and xdvipdfmx on the resulting xdv file. I would expect that
> only
> the second step fails. With respect to search paths, what is the
> output
> of the following commands
>
> kpsewhich texmf.cnf
> egrep ^ENCFONTS $(kpsewhich texmf.cnf)
> egrep ^TEXPSHEADERS $(kpsewhich texmf.cnf)
>
> ?

Right; xetex itself doesn't use this, the output driver (xdvipdfmx)
is what needs it.

Does it work to use mathpazo with regular latex (or pdflatex in dvi
output mode) and the dvipdfmx driver? The behavior should be the same.

I'll look into this shortly (if it doesn't get solved in the
meantime.... good start, Ralf!).