[XeTeX] url.sty and XeLaTeX for Linux

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Jun 8 04:46:07 CEST 2006

Hi Pablo,

On 08/06/2006, at 11:49 AM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> It probably means your texmf.cnf is set up to search the TEXMFMAIN
>> tree before TEXMFLOCAL. I'm used to systems that search LOCAL before
>> MAIN (which makes more sense in my mind), but I've seen some that do
>> it the other way.
>
> There must be something wrong with my texmf.cnf.
>
> I have changed:
>
> TEXMF =
> {!!$TEXMFCONFIG,!!$TEXMFVAR,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,$TEXMFHOME,!!
> $TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFDIST}
>
> TEXINPUTS.xelatex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{latex,generic,xelatex,xetex}//
> TEXINPUTS.xetex   = .;$TEXMF/tex/{plain,generic,xetex}//

Change these to:

TEXINPUTS.xelatex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{xelatex,xetex,latex,generic}//
TEXINPUTS.xetex   = .;$TEXMF/tex/{xetex,plain,generic}//

> I had to add xelatex and xetex to the XeTeX inputs.
>
> But it doesn't work. Where should I change texmf.cnf so that LOCAL is
> searched before MAIN?

That may not be the right question.

Since  $TEXMF  has multiple search locations, and
{latex,generic,xelatex,xetex} also has multiple locations,
ask yourself: "What is the actual search order?".

Construct a matrix of the possible combinations.
Now order the elements linearly.
Is it done by rows first, or by columns first ?

It could be that all $TEXMFLOCAL  come before  $TEXMFMAIN
locations --- that is what you seem to want.

Or it could be that all the  */latex/ places are checked
before all the  */xelatex/  places, whether LOCAL or MAIN.

In either case, for XeTeX-specific package files, you should
make sure that xelatex/  and  xetex/  directories are checked
before more generic locations.

Hopefully this will solve your problem.

> Thanks,

Hope this helps,