[XeTeX] "xelatex" package name

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jun 8 00:48:50 CEST 2006

On 7 Jun 2006, at 10:49 pm, Will Robertson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've had a suggestion from the CTAN guys that "xelatex" isn't such a
> good name for a package, since it might confuse people somehow.
> Anyone have any suggestions for a new name this helper package?

Given that xelatex has become the de-facto name for LaTeX running
with the XeTeX engine, this does seem like it could be a bit confusing.

Your package sounds like a collection of miscellaneous bits and
pieces that generally make sense when running xetex+latex, rather
than a package having a clearly-defined focus that points to a name.
I wonder if you can do something with the idea of "extras"? But I
haven't looked to see what names are already taken; and perhaps this
would be considered too generic. To stay with the pattern of an
initial "x", maybe you could try "xtras", or even "xextras". :)