[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.994 error message

Robert Spence spence at saar.de
Wed Jun 7 02:38:53 CEST 2006

Hi Bruno,

On 07 Jun 2006, at 00:38 , Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 6 juin 06 à 23:58, Robert Spence a écrit :
>
>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/xelatex/hyperref.cfg)
>> Implicit mode ON; LaTeX internals redefined
>> )
>> *hyperref using default driver hdvipdfm*
>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/hyperref/hdvipdfm.def)
>> (./marina.aux)
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> \Gm at checkdrivers ...fined \else \ifnum \pdfoutput
>>                                                    =\@ne
>> \Gm at setdriver {pdfte...
>> l.1333 \begin{document}
>
> It looks like one of the packages you've loaded thinks you are
> running pdfTeX instead of XeTeX. Maybe it acts like the geometry
> package, detecting pdfTeX based on whether \pdfpagewidth or
> \pdfpageheight is defined. Could you post your complete preamble, to
> let us know which packages are called?

Having just seen all the other posts that have come in since midnight
(aren't new XeTeX releases exciting! ;-), I'm now pretty sure that it
is, in fact, the geometry package that's causing the error messages.
I didn't dare post my complete preamble, because it's over a thousand
lines long (!).  But here's an attempt at a minimal example:

----------
%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass{scrartcl}
%\usepackage{geometry}
\usepackage{xunicode,fontspec}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setromanfont{Gentium}
\begin{document}
This is a test.
\end{document}
----------

Uncommenting the line

%\usepackage{geometry}

makes the error messages appear.  So it looks like it's the same
problem that other list members are having, and it looks like it
might be related to:

< lines 562 thru 583 of geometry.sty [2002/07/08 v3.2 Page Geometry] >

\def\Gm at checkdrivers{%
   \ifx\pdfpagewidth\@undefined\else
     \ifnum\pdfoutput=\@ne
       \Gm at setdriver{pdftex}%
     \fi
   \fi
   \ifx\VTeXversion\@undefined\else
     \ifnum\OpMode=\@ne
       \Gm at setdriver{vtex}%
     \else
       \ifnum\OpMode=\tw@
         \Gm at setdriver{vtex}%
       \fi
     \fi
   \fi
   \ifx\Gm at driver\Gm at dvips
     \Gm at specialtrue
   \else
     \ifx\Gm at driver\Gm at dvipdfm
        \Gm at specialtrue
     \fi
   \fi}%

So I guess the possible workarounds are:
1) Try one of the alternatives to geometry.sty
2) Get used to pressing the RETURN key while running XeTeX
3) Wait for XeTeX 0.995 ( = the confidence interval corresponding to
standard deviation range