[XeTeX] Problem with tremas

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Jun 6 12:21:59 CEST 2006

On 6 Jun 2006, at 11:07 am, Marc Pautrel wrote:

> Jonathan Kew a écrit :

>>> Yes, I know, but for tremas, it does not work, unfortunately... All
>>> european accent work except tremas.
>> What fonts are you using?
>> Could you provide a complete minimal document that demonstrates
>> the  problem you're having?
>

> Here is a test file and, attached, the pdf TeXshop does...

Ah, suddenly all becomes clear......

> \documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec,xunicode}
> \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
> \setromanfont{Garamond}
> %\setromanfont{Baskerville}
> \usepackage[french]{babel}
> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}

Get rid of \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}.

If your input file is Unicode (UTF-8) encoded, then it's not Latin1.
xetex reads Unicode natively, and packages like inputenc will simply
get in the way. (\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} would also be wrong,
because xetex decodes the UTF-8 byte sequences itself.)

HTH,   JK