[XeTeX] XeTeX for Linux (first experiencies)

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Mon Jun 5 00:23:12 CEST 2006

Hi there,

I have just downloaded and installed xetex for Linux. It is something I
have dreamed of. I have been trying something similar with Lambda,
antomega and dvipdfmx, but xetex is better by far. Congratulations and
many thanks for your excellent work.

After some playing with my own dissertation, I have discovered the
following issues:

XeTeX does not work with babel and polutonikogreek. Check the following
file:

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setromanfont{Gentium}

\usepackage[polutonikogreek,english]{babel}

\begin{document}
Hi, it's me.

\foreignlanguage{polutonikogreek}{χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά}
\end{document}

hyperref is not able to pass non ISO-8859 characters to the bookmarks
and info files. With the original dvipdfmx I was able to do it using the
CJKbookmarks option and adding "\AtBeginDvi{\special{pdf: tounicode
UTF8-UCS2}}" to the file. UTF8-UCS2 can be located at
http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/sample/omega/lambda-example2.zip.

I have also problems with fontspec. Using GFS Didot (available at
http://www.greekfontsociety.org/pages/en_typefaces.html), smallcaps
work, but they work for all capitals also. See the file:

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setromanfont{GFS Didot Rg}

\begin{document}
\textsc{Hi, my name is Pablo.}
\end{document}

There are other problems, but I guess this is fine for now.

Thanks again for your work,

Pablo