[XeTeX] Error message with new XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Jun 4 00:52:29 CEST 2006

On 3 Jun 2006, at 12:39 pm, Jose Figueroa-O'Farrill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A file which used to compile without problems before the upgrade ---
> yes, I like to live on the edge :) --- now displays an error.  The
> offending line is
>
> \newfontinstance\hispfont[Color=33AA33,Mapping=tex-text,Scale=0.9]
> {Arial}
>
> and the error message is
>
> Package fontspec Info: Defining font family for "Arial" with
> options [Color=33A
> A33,Mapping=tex-text,Scale=0.9] on input line 28.
> Package fontspec Info: \font is "Arial:color=33AA33,mapping=tex-
> text," on input
>  line 28.
> Package fontspec Info: \font is "Arial/B:color=33AA33,mapping=tex-
> text," on input line 28.
> Package fontspec Info: \font is "Arial/I:color=33AA33,mapping=tex-
> text," on input line 28.
> ! Cannot use \XeTeXOTcountfeatures with Arial Italic; not an
> OpenType Layout font.
> \zf at check@ot at feat ...OTcountfeatures \zf at basefont
>                                                   \c at zf@script
> \c at zf@languag...
> l.28 ...=33AA33,Mapping=tex-text,Scale=0.9]{Arial}

Curious. Seems to work fine for me.

Could you look in Font Book and see what version(s) of Arial you
have, where they're installed, and which are actually active? (Font
Book shows a bullet by fonts that are "masked" by others with the
same name.) Do you have Arial fonts installed in multiple places (/
Library, ~/Library, System Folder/Fonts, etc.?) I'm guessing that
perhaps XeTeX is finding an Arial Italic that comes from a different
source from the regular Arial (one from Apple and the other from
Microsoft, maybe), and fontspec is getting confused.