[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.993 for Mac OS X

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jun 2 19:27:46 CEST 2006

There is a new release of XeTeX available for Mac OS X. Version 0.993
comes with both PowerPC and Intel binaries, and includes several new
features including the much-requested "glyph metrics" mode (enabled
by default in the standard xetex.fmt and xelatex.fmt formats).

A few notes of caution for the early adopters out there:

(a) This was built on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), and has not been tested
on earlier systems. I'm guessing it won't run on Jaguar; don't know
about Panther. I have left version 0.99b available on the Download
page as a fallback option for people with older systems.

(b) The Intel build, in particular, has had relatively little testing
(well, to be honest, no XeTeX version gets much testing before you
guys get hold of it), as my normal working machine is still an old
Power Mac. As far as I know, it should work identically (except
faster), but beware of lingering bugs!

(c) Because of the new glyph-metrics support, many existing documents
will format differently with the new version (depending on how fonts
and line spacing were used). You can revert to the old behavior with
\XeTeXuseglyphmetrics=0 in your document, if required.

(d) I won't be around much over the weekend, to look into any
problems that show up.

Having said that, as far as I'm aware it should work fine, and be an
improvement on previous versions. YMMV! :)

As always, it's at <http://scripts.sil.org/xetex>, and also available
through i-Installer.