[XeTeX] xunicode.sty bug

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Jul 18 14:21:27 CEST 2006

On Jul 18, 2006, at 6:36 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> Having a visible glyph for U+00AD in a font may be useful if text is
> displayed by a "dumb" system that does not handle its Unicode
> semantics. But in this case, it may be a bad idea for the glyph to
> look like a "normal" hyphen, as this could mislead people into using
> it thinking that it will always be a visible character. Using a
> specially-marked glyph (e.g., with dashed box around) might be a
> better choice. (This can also be used by editors that want to support
> a "show invisibles" mode.)

I've always thought that there needed to be a pair of Unicode points,
one of which had a visible representation as a hyphen when it had
been introduced at the discretion of the H&J system and which could
(and should) disappear from the visual representation if the text
were re-flowed (but remain in the text against its being needed
again) being replaced by the invisible equivalent.

Translation: I really resent how much of my life has been spent
trying to figure out which hyphens stay and which should go in text
being re-purposed from something other than a pristine and sensibly
marked-up source.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.