[XeTeX] Fontspec problem (OpenType stylistic sets)

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 17:09:39 CEST 2006

Hi Alex,

I've forwarded my reply to the XeTeX list since the reply is relevant
to everyone using fontspec.

You wrote, paraphrased:
> I notice you say you don't have a font to test [the Variant
> fontspec feature with an OpenType font
> that has stylistic set variants] within the documentation, so
> perhaps this bug is caused by the feature not actually being
> tested? ... If it helps, you can download the Junicode font ...
>
> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \begin{document}
> {\fontspec[Variant=1]{Junicode}
> AÆBCDÐEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZÞaæbcdðefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzþ }
> \end{document}

Sorry for the problem here -- this is a known issue (indeed caused
because I never had a chance to test it!) with an easy fix in the
source. I don't have a schedule for a new release, but I guess it'd
be good to get this minor version out sooner rather than later.

To fix the problem, find the appropriate section in fontspec.sty and
replace it with:

\define at key[zf]{options}{Variant}{%
   \setkeys*[zf at feat]{Variant}{#1}%
   \unless\ifx\XKV at rm\@empty
     \edef\@tempa{\noexpand\zf at make@feature{18}{#1}{+ss\two at digits
{#1}}}\@tempa
   \fi}

(Search for "\define at key[zf]{options}{Variant}" to find the right spot.)

Thanks for the pointer to the Junicode font, by the way!
I look forward to taking a look at it.

Will