[XeTeX] Package geometry with XeTeX

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Jul 14 02:41:04 CEST 2006

On 13/07/2006, at 8:58 PM, jeffdod at netzero.net wrote:

> I have a problem when using the geometry package with XeTeX. I have
> read the geometry.pdf file backwards and forwards, and have not
> figured out what I am doing wrong. My problem is that even if I set a
> bottom margin for my page, my footnotes (which are in paragraph form)
> often run literally off the bottom of the page. Here is what the
> preamble of my code looks like:
>
> \documentclass[11pt]{book}
> \usepackage{geometry}
> \geometry
> {paperwidth=6in,paperheight=9in,head=0.375in,headsep=0.125in,inner=0.7
> 5in,total={4.75in,7in},twoside}

There are more parameters that can be set.

Here's an example from a current (and past) project of mine:

\usepackage[landscape, letterpaper, verbose,
%           ,textheight=5.5 truein  %calculated by geometry
%           ,textwidth=10.0 truein  %calculated by geometry
             ,voffset=-.35pt
             ,hoffset=0pt
             ,tmargin=0pt
             ,bmargin=0pt
             ,lmargin=0pt %36pt
             ,rmargin=0pt %36pt
             ,headheight=58pt
             ,headsep=20pt
             ,footskip=0.50 truein
             ,tmargin=.10truein
             ]{geometry}

> These settings for geometry actually give me acceptable formatting.
> That is, the footnotes never go too far towards the bottom of the
> page. However, what I really wanted was a 0.5in margin on the bottom,
> and if I set it to that (e.g., I set the text height to 8in), the
> footnotes overrun the bottom of the page, as I mentioned.

   adjust the  footskip   parameter.

> I include all of these packages in this order. I was wondering if
> perhaps the "para" parameter and the footmisc package cause this

footmisc  might be relevant --- try the above first.

> problem. Or is there perhaps a XeTeX-related reason for this behavior?
>
> Jeff

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au