[XeTeX] XeTeX Logo Problems and Other Questions

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Jul 8 18:25:51 CEST 2006

On 8 Jul 2006, at 3:46 pm, jeffdod at netzero.net wrote:

> I have a few questions:
>
> Before the questions though, here is a little about my setup. I am
> running XeTeX on Windows, using the latest Win32 XeTeX installation
> that sits on top of W32TeX. I installed the medium option, not the
> minimal or full. Also, I already had MikTeX LaTeX installed, and it is
> still installed.
>
> 1) I am trying to use the \XeTeX logo as defined in the package
> "xltxtra", but am having a problem. The first "E", the one that is
> supposed to be dropped slightly and backwards, is actually
> forwards-facing, and shifted forwards far enough that it overlaps the
> "T" and following "E" character. My actual application is fairly
> complicated and includes many packages, but I found that the following
> simple program shows this same problem on my system:
>
> %&program=xelatex
> %&encoding=UTF-8 Unicode
>
> % This will be a book
> \documentclass[11pt]{book}
>
> % Use this for graphics
> \usepackage{graphicx}

You need to load the graphics package with

  \usepackage[dvipdfm]{graphicx}

in order to get the right output driver.

Reason: xetex on Mac OS X and xetex on other platforms currently use
different xdv-to-pdf backends, and because of their different
origins, they support different sets of \special commands for
graphics, transforms, etc. The xetex.def and graphics.cfg currently
in the xetex distribution are correct for Mac OS X but not for Linux/
W32.

This is an area that's still in flux.... expect things to change
eventually (and to work automatically in most cases). But for now,
specifying the driver explicitly should solve the problem.

> ....[snipped]
>
> Next question:
>
> 2) I am going to release to the public an edition of the Greek New
> Testament, and I have used XeTeX for the Unicode font support.

Neat! :)

Just out of curiosity, could I ask which Greek font you're using? And
have you followed the recent discussion of Greek hyphenation, and
tried Peter Heslin's tool for creating Unicode patterns for XeTeX?

> I want
> to mention some things in the back about how the edition was typeset.
> Should I a) say that the edition was typeset using LaTeX2e and used
> the
> XeTeX extension for Unicode support, b) just say it was typeset using
> XeTeX, or c) just say it was typeset using XeLaTeX?

I think it's up to you how you want to describe things, depending (a)
how much detail you want to give, and (b) what you think will be
clearest to the (largely TeX-ignorant, no doubt) readers. Personally,
I'd probably avoid "XeLaTeX" as being too much of an insider's term;
perhaps something like "typeset using XeTeX with the LaTeX macro
package".

> 3) Does anyone know how to properly install XeTeX on top of MikTeX
> LaTeX?

No idea, sorry. Looking at MikTeX integration is on my "to do some
day" list, but I haven't touched it yet.

My ideal scenario would be if packages like MikTeX eventually include
a xetex tool as part of their normal setup, rather than it being
something that gets installed "on top". I don't want to go on
maintaining "add-on" installers, etc., indefinitely. Maybe once xetex
is included as standard in texlive, we can head in that direction as
a next step.