[XeTeX] weird kerning with GFS Didot's italic face

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Thu Jul 6 18:25:27 CEST 2006

Using XeTeX for Linux with the following file:

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt,twoside,openright]{book}
\usepackage{fontspec,xunicode,xltxtra}
\setromanfont{GFS Didot}

\begin{document}
\textbf{Mein Weg Von}

\emph{Mein Weg Von}

\textbf{\emph{Mein Weg Von}}
\end{document}

I get wrong kerning in 'Me', 'We' and 'Vo' using the italic font. With
the bold italic font all kerning pairs are right. With the bold font
'Me' seems to be wrong kerned.

I have checked this in Windows (not using TeX at all), but kerning seems
to be fine there. I guess kerning would be fine in Mac.

Is this caused by a bug in FreeType that doesn't handle the italic
kerning right or is it a bug in the fonts themselves?

Thanks for your help,

Pablo