[XeTeX] using Didot.dfont in Linux

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Jul 5 11:26:58 CEST 2006

Le 5 juil. 06 à 02:29, Adam Twardoch a écrit :

> TrueType and OpenType fonts typically contain two Unicode subtables:
> 0.3, which is used on Mac OS X, and 3.1, which is used on Windows. If
> 0.3 is absent from a font, Mac OS X will use 3.1 instead, but if
> 3.1 is
> absent from a font, Windows can’t use the font at all.
>
> I believe Apple’s .dfonts only contain the 0.3 subtables since
> fonts in
> the .dfont
> packaging don’t work anywhere except on Mac OS X, so inclusion of the
> 3.1 subtable wouldn’t do anything except bloat the font file.

Thanks for the explanation. I had always been wondering what the
difference was, between TrueType fonts provided as a single .dfont
file (an OS X format, I guess) and TrueType fonts provided as a
collection of .ttf files (a Windows format, I guess), other than a
mere packaging difference, given OS X can use both. Now that makes
more sense.

Bruno