[XeTeX] using Didot.dfont in Linux

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jul 5 10:43:51 CEST 2006

On 5 Jul 2006, at 1:29 am, Adam Twardoch wrote:

> Jonathan,
> which subtables does XeTeX use?

When rendering with ATSUI on the Mac, it uses whatever ATSUI uses....
which I think means 0.3 or 3.1 or possibly others as well if these
aren't present.

When rendering with ICU (on any platform), it uses 3.1 or 3.10 or
0.anything, preferring 3.10 or an Apple table if available.

But this could be reviewed and changed at any time.......

> Does the behavior differ on Mac and
> Linux/Windows? It would be good to harmonize these behaviors. Note
> that
> if, say, Mac XeTeX uses 0.3 and the Linux/Windows XeTeX uses 3.1, this
> can potentially lead to incompatible cross-platform renderings. After
> all, it’s possible to have OT/TT fonts that have different contents of
> the 0.3 and 3.1 subtables (I have built such fonts for a client).

I'd say that if a font is designed to render differently on Mac and
Windows systems, by putting different mappings in 0.3 and 3.1, then
ideally xetex would respect that difference; it's supposed to use
fonts in the "native" way in its host environment.

But I'm having trouble thinking of a good reason to build such a
font... seems an odd thing to do.