[XeTeX] Finished testing Adobe OpenType Font Folio on the Mac

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Jul 4 10:25:03 CEST 2006

On 3 Jul 2006, at 8:13 pm, William Adams wrote:

> On Jun 29, 2006, at 11:05 AM, William Adams wrote:
>
>> First, the good news, Aldus LT Std Roman seems to've been anomalous,
>> which in retrospect seems obvious since there aren't that many fonts
>> which have only a single weight w/ an italic.
>
> I mis-remembered and didn't adequately look through things here.
>
> The following fonts seem to exhibit similar difficulties to Aldus LT
> Std:
>
> %\setromanfont{Ariadne LT Std}% -- x PC OK Mac
> %\setromanfont{Ariadne LT Std Roman}% -- x Pc ok Mac
> %\setromanfont{Arnold Boecklin Std}% --- x PC OK Mac
> %\setromanfont{Auriol LT Std}% --- x PC OK Mac
> %\setromanfont{Banco Std}% --- x PC OK Mac
> %\setromanfont{Banshee Std}% --- x PC OK Mac
> %\setromanfont{Baskerville Cyrillic LT Std}% --- x PC OK Mac
>
> Testing is really slow for me on the PC 'cause my pen slate is only
> 233MHz.
>
> Additionally,
> %\setromanfont{Bernhard Std}% doesn't make a .pdf? PC ok Mac
> seems to process completely, but doesn't make a .pdf file --- would
> it be helpful to send on the .xdv (made using xetex -no-pdf)?

I doubt the .xdv would show anything -- xetex is finding the font, or
it would complain. Most likely xdv2pdf is somehow failing. You might
want to run xetex -no-pdf and then xdv2pdf separately in Terminal, so
you don't miss any messages (no crash log, I presume?).

Check console.log for any messages from Quartz, too; if it's not
actually crashing, then I wonder if Quartz is somehow unhappy with
that font. Not much I can do to investigate it, though, as I don't
have access to the Adobe collection. Anyone with an Adobe friend care
to suggest that they donate a copy for testing purposes? ;)