[XeTeX] Type 1 fonts in W32 XeTeX

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Sat Jul 1 17:54:08 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> writes:

> I've checked-in a change to xetex that should correct this problem. I
> think freetype is arguably wrong to be returning non-zero advanceY
> when the glyph was not loaded with the VERTICAL_LAYOUT flag; should
> check into this more carefully. But this patch should keep the words
> properly on the line, anyway.

IMO there is no vertical advance width, as long as the Type 1 charstring
starts with 'hsbw' (as opposed to 'sbw'). Hence freetype should not
return one for these fonts, which indeed use 'hsbw'.

> The character-mapping issue that some have seen is a separate bug,
> not yet fixed.

The used metrics seem to be the ones from the intended glyphs. In case
this helps locating the problem ...

cheerio
ralf