[XeTeX] Type 1 fonts in W32 XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Jul 1 16:51:39 CEST 2006

On 1 Jul 2006, at 2:31 pm, Ralf Stubner wrote:

> "Pierre Weil" <pierre.weil at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I've been using the W32 version of XeTeX for a couple of days and am
>> ecstatic to be able to use this wonderful program. However, I'm
>> getting some weird behavior when trying to use any type 1 font.
>> Namely, words don't seem to stay on one line. I've attached a simple
>> example which I generated with
>>
>> \font\x="Helvetica LT"\x One two three four five.\bye
>>
>> This happens with every type 1 font I've tried, but of course
>> opentype
>> fonts work perfectly. I don't know whether this is a problem with the
>> W32 port or if XeTeX is not meant to support type 1 fonts at all, but
>> regardless I am quite stumped.
>
> I can reproduce this behaviour on Linux with various fonts (XeTeX Rev
> 292, xdvipdfmx Rev 38):
>
> \font\a="Bitstream Charter" at 10pt
> \a one two three
>
> \font\b="URW Bookman L" at 10pt
> \b one two three
>
> \font\b="URW Gothic L" at 10pt
> \b one two three
> \bye

Aha; I've been able to reproduce the vertical-offset problem by
updating to the latest Freetype2 release. With 2.1.10 (the installed
version on my SuSE 10 system), it's fine; but relinking xetex with
2.2.1 (latest from the Freetype project), I get the words set
diagonally downwards.

I've checked-in a change to xetex that should correct this problem. I
think freetype is arguably wrong to be returning non-zero advanceY
when the glyph was not loaded with the VERTICAL_LAYOUT flag; should
check into this more carefully. But this patch should keep the words
properly on the line, anyway.

The character-mapping issue that some have seen is a separate bug,
not yet fixed.